06 February 2007

My mother

If you know me, you know how much of a momma's girl I am. Don't get me wrong; I love my father dearly, and wouldn't trade my life with him for the world. My mom, though, has always been my best friend, even when I called others that. Even when I didn't want to talk to anyone (we all know those years), I always wanted to have my mom around for when I felt vulnerable or sick or whatever. Nowadays I realize that I've grown into seeing her as someone who I can talk to about anything. And while she may not like everything I choose to talk about or do, she's always telling me that I should do what I want; whatever makes me happy (my father does too, I shouldn't leave him out of that one).

I'm setting up a story here, but to really make it awesome I need to tell you something else. Growing up, I went to church every Sunday. My mom plays piano for the choir, and when I was a kid she also co-directed the children's choir. I always thought my parents were God fearing, but later in life I learned that my dad actually went through a time of questioning. Which, of course, made me feel better because by that time I was already on my way to leaving religion. I vaguely spoke to my mom about this, but I never got the feeling that she questioned her beliefs. If she did, she never expressed it. So when my parents began NOT going to church every Sunday, I was surprised. But, then again, they've opened my eyes in recent years. First they were world travelers, then RV owners, then Airstream rebuilders and owners, and now, now they're Texas A&M basketball fans. My dad's an Aggie, which of course means that my mom's an Aggie. I grew up around Aggie football, which is where my love of the sport comes from, but there wasn't a lot of Aggie basketball happening in the house.

Cut to this past Saturday. My parents are watching A&M play Kansas. I believe that A&M was ranked #8 and Kansas #6, but don't quote me on that. Suffice it to say that A&M was a bit of an underdog. Apparently it was a really good game, coming down to the wire. My parents are, of course, freaking out, because all of a sudden they're Aggie basketball fans. My dad's pacing (that's where I got it from!), and my mom has her head down on the kitchen table. She's nervous. So nervous, in fact, that she thinks to herself (my MOM!) that if the Aggies win she'll go to church the next day. And they win. And she kept her word, even taking my dad along. These are people who used to get me up every Sunday morning. I think it's hilarious.

Meanwhile, my dear niece, the first baby I held that was related to me (that I can remember), doesn't know who Prince is. She apparently said something like, "Who was that guy in the halftime show?" I wanted to cry. Are kids that out of touch with real musicians these days? Or am I just getting old?

1 comment:

fringes said...

I loved this post! Thanks for sharing. Prince was almost the best thing about that game. I was prepared to be unimpressed, but he done good.

Tell your folks congrats on the Aggie ball this year. They are moving up in the rankings.

Don't forget to tell me when you've moved to Wordpress.